BLT Potato Salad
Holy cow! Did you know that it’s Memorial Day today!? I had no idea. Absolutely no clue. How removed from society am I?? It wasn’t until I sat down this morning to schedule my blog posts for the week that it hit me, “Thursday, May 30th, Friday May 31st. Wait…. WHAT!?” Where did May go and why was I surrounded by a cone of cloudy depression the whole time? Seriously SUN- you can come out now! This is my first Spring in Germany. I spent last years’ in the States while Dave was deployed. Maybe I should have considered doing that again.
In an effort to celebrate the Holiday that I wasn’t aware of… I am sharing with you a lovely picnic-barbecue type recipe. A potato salad! But not just any kind of potato salad (and least of all a traditional potato salad). This potato salad is all about the bacon and its’ role in the all-time classic American sandwich, the BLT.
I still remember the first time I had a BLT. I was at my best friend, Darcey’s, house for dinner. I was young. Maybe 10? For some reason when I recount my memories with Darcey I am always 10. Well, her Mom was having BLT’s for dinner. Bacon. Lettuce. Tomato. With mayonnaise? On toast? And of course just like any other child, I didn’t like vegetables. Bacon-mayonnaise sandwich it was for me! Haha It was DELICIOUS. That was the moment that BLT’s entered my heart forever.
This BLT potato salad is awesome. I was skeptical at first, particularly at having lettuce in my potato salad. That just seems weird to me. Like I said though- it was totally awesome!
My parents were visiting when I made this. My Mother would NOT stopping going on about how much she loved this recipe. She probably told me 25 times that I would have to give her the recipe. And I am not exaggerating. I didn’t realize I was in the business of holding back recipes…
Now Dave, he hates mayonnaise. I swear I see him cringe ever time he sees it in the fridge. So this salad didn’t have mayonnaise in it- it had olive oil mayonnaise. “It’s not like regular mayonnaise at all- it’s made with olive oil! It’s just olive oil.” That’s what I told him. And he 100% completely accepted what I told him, even though I may have embellished the differences between the mayonnaises a bit. Okay, a lot. But sometimes you’ve got to do that with those picky eats. And guess what? He ate it right up and totally enjoyed it! I felt validated after my little white lie : )
- 2½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 7 scallions, sliced thin
- 2 Tb dill pickle relish
- 1 romaine letture heart (6 ounces), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh chives
- Place potatoes in large saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar and 2 tablespoons salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, 12 to 16 minutes. Drain, move to bowl, and toss with 1 tablespoon vinegar. Allow potatoes to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until crispy, about 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Whisk mayonnaise, scallions, relish, remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, ½ tsp salt, and ⅛ tsp pepper in large bowl until combined. Fold in potatoes, reserved bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, and chives. Serve.
Incoming search terms:
- gordon ramsay potato salad
- potato salad gordon ramsay
- potato salad recipe gordon ramsay
- potato salad gordon ramsay recipe