How to cook Neapolitan-style pasta, potatoes and provola
Grandma’s recipe for cooking Neapolitan-style pasta, potatoes and provola can be seen in this video!
A hot, economical and invigorating dish featuring potatoes, created as an anti-waste solution to use leftovers intelligently, pasta, potatoes and Neapolitan provola it is a homemade first course that always makes everyone happy thanks to its creaminess, it is stringy and tasty.
The recipe for pasta, potatoes and provola is one traditional Neapolitan recipe which like all traditional regional recipes, can be cooked in various versions: pasta, potatoes and provola can be made with stretched bacon or pork rind, it can be made white or red, there are those who prefer it brothy or more ” spot on”, Neapolitan term to describe a creamy dish. There are those who even make it without bacon!
However, in our opinion, mature cheese rinds should never be missing from pasta, potatoes and provola! Obviously they are well grated and therefore clean. They will slowly soften in the sauce and finding them on the plate will be a pleasant surprise.
INGREDIENTS FOR 4 PEOPLE FOR PASTA, POTATOES AND PROVOLA
- 600 g of yellow potatoes
- 320 g of mixed pasta
- 100g of bacon
- A stalk of celery, an onion and a carrot, 50 g each
- 3 cherry tomatoes or a spoonful of tomato paste
- 100 g of smoked provola
- 60 g of grated cheese (30 g of parmesan and 30 g of pecorino romano)
- Parmesan zest
- 4 tablespoons of oil
The pasta suitable for pasta, potatoes and provola
First of all mixed pasta, but you can use short pasta that you have in the pantry, the rubbish, i.e. the packets of pasta that we have opened and we finish them halfway like this. To be delicious, the pasta is risottoed and then cooked directly in the sauce. This will make the dish creamier thanks to the starch released by the pasta itself. A real pleasure!
Being a first course of risotto pasta, potato and provola pasta is also suitable for cooking in the Thermomix or in the Moulinex iCompanion if you love cooking with the help of multifunction food processors.
Tips for cooking the best pasta, potatoes and provola
- If you add water, make sure it is hot otherwise you will block the cooking
- Creaming can be passive, that is, just add the smoked provola cheese to the pan with the heat off and it will spin on its own.
- If you can find the ingredients in their Campania variant, even better and therefore you have to recover Avezzano potatoes And provola from Agerolasmoked (or peppered) bacon
- If you are vegetarian, follow the same steps omitting the bacon. In any case you will end up with a creamy and stringy dish of pasta and potatoes, very pleasant even without bacon!
If you are in Naples and want to try this dish where can you go to eat pasta, potatoes and provola? Definitely at Trattoria Nenella, an obligatory stop for a true Neapolitan culinary experience.
If you liked the recipe for pasta with potatoes and provola, try other recipes with potatoes such as Apulian potato pizza, Apulian pasta and potatoes, baked potatoes, potato and artichoke omelette, potatoes, rice and mussels, potato and pepper parmigiana and potatoes.