This spinach coconut roll recipe is a twist on the classic cinnamon roll. Naturally green sweet bread dough with a coconut filling–delicious, healthy and fun!
Spinach is known as a rich source of iron. According to the USDA, spinach contains a relatively high level of iron, compared to other vegetable and meat sources.
- Place all the dough ingredients, except butter, in a mixing bowl fixed with dough hook. Stir until a dough ball forms. Add in butter and knead until the dough has become smooth and elastic.
- Place it in a lightly greased bowl, covered and let rise in a warm place for about 60 minutes until the dough has doubled in size. Coat your finger with flour and press your finger into middle of the dough, the indentation should remain visible for a few seconds.
- While the dough is fermenting, you can prepare the filling. Beat the sugar and butter until light. Add in egg and coconut shreds and stir until mixed.
- Punch down the dough to release the gas during the proof. Divide it into 2 portion. Cover with a plastic wrapper and let rest for about 15 minutes. Roll each into a 28x15cm rectangular dough. Spread half of the filling on the top and roll up. Cut each into 7 pieces.
- Place them in a lightly greased 28cm round baking pan. Let rise for about 60 minutes and brush with egg mixture. Bake in a preheated 175C/350F oven for about 18-20 minutes.