Sicilian chocolate granita: preparation without ice cream maker. The tradition of Sicilian granita has its roots in Arab domination, over time the preparation and the taste has been refined especially on the eastern side of the island, in a refined product that truly conquers everyone. Sicilians enjoy it for breakfast with the famous brioche with tuppo, or as a snack, but never after a meal. the tastes are different, lemon, mulberry, coffee, almond and pistachio. Today I propose the chocolate one, delicious with the addition of whipped cream as it is served in Messina and Catania.
Ingredients for 6 people
- 110 gr of good quality bitter cocoa
- 90 gr of granulated sugar
- 1 liter of cold water
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (or vanilla seeds)
- Whipped cream (or whipping) for desserts (optional *)
- dark chocolate chips to decorate (optional *)
⬇️WATCH THE VIDEO: How to make chocolate GRANITA BELOW⬇️
- In a saucepan we sift together bitter cocoa is cornstarch
- let's add it caster sugar With the'vanilla extract
- While mixing everything, add a little at a time 750 ml of cold water
- We put the pot on the fire and, stirring, bring to a boil, after boiling let it thicken (always on the fire) for about 3 minutes, the consistency must still be quite liquid.
- We remove the pot from the heat and add more 250 ml of cold water, mix and pour the mixture into a cold steel pot (kept in the freezer for half an hour). We cover with film and put in the freezer for 5-6 hours.
- From time to time we mix the mixture (We “scratch” with a fork to chop the ice crystals). The consistency will be like the slushes of the bar, quite liquid
- Put a little whipped cream on the bottom of the glass, add the granita and decorate the surface with more whipped cream and a few drops of dark chocolate.
Enjoy your meal!
N.B. If the granita is to be consumed the same day about 6 hours in the freezer, stirring the mixture every 2 hours.
If instead it should be consumed the next days then go removed from the freezer an hour earlier to serve it and passed in the blender or mixer to crush the ice crystals formed.
Sicilian chocolate granita
Enjoy your meal!