Stuffed aubergines Cilentana style: mulignane 'mbuttunat as they are called in Cilento, are eggplants cut into a book and stuffed, fried and seasoned with tomato sauce. Nothing could be simpler and more exquisite. Cilento is an area in the province of Salerno in the southernmost part of Campania. This recipe is a typical Cilento side dish, also this summer I spent a few weeks right in Cilento, in the place where the Mediterranean diet (Pioppi, hamlet of Pollica), the frying present in this recipe, is also allowed in the Mediterranean diet, obviously reserving it for rare occasions (read the Mediterranean diet of Ancel Keys)!
Ingredients for 4 people
- 2 long eggplants
- 600 gr of tomato pulp
- 150 gr of goat's Cacioricotta
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- 1/4 onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- Peanut oil (for frying)
Watch the Video Recipe of Cilentana aubergines
How to prepare the stuffed aubergines "mulignan 'mbuttunat" Cilentana style
- The first thing to do is prepare the filling, beat 2 eggs in a plate, add the grated cacioricotta, a little grated garlic and pepper, mix.
- We wash the aubergines, dry them and remove the ends, then cut slices into slices about 3 cm thick, cut each slice like a book, that is, in half but without going all the way (photo 2) in order to contain the filling. With a fork, put the filling in the slices like a book, and remove the excess that comes out of the slice.
- Fry in plenty of hot peanut oil, a few minutes on one side and then on the other. We put the eggplants on a sheet of absorbent paper. We complete the frying of all the eggplants.
- Prepare a sauce by putting in a pan a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 of a white onion (or shallot), brown the onion and pour the tomato pulp into the pan, cook for 7-8 minutes, almost when cooked, season with salt and add a few basil leaves. Finally, add the aubergines previously fried in the sauce, let them cook just a few minutes.
- Your Cilentana-style stuffed aubergines (mulignane 'mbuttunat) are ready.
WINE PAIRING: Aglianico del Cilento
In this blog for wine and liqueur combinations I consulted the site: www.vini.tipici.info
Stuffed aubergines Cilentana style
Enjoy your meal!