The Sponge cakealso known as “genoise” in French, is a traditional Italian dessert, loved for its soft and light texture. This dessert is a foundation of pastry makingused as a basis for many cake and dessert recipes.
Its versatility and ability to absorb flavors make it perfect for many cakes.
The origins of sponge cake date back to the 18th century, and its name may derive from the idea that the dessert was initially associated with Spain or was imported from there. However, it originated in Italy and has gained popularity all over the world.
Recipes in which it is used
Sponge cake is an essential base for many cake and dessert recipes. Can be used to create layer cakeslike the classic “Birthday cake” or the “Black Forest Cake“. It is also a key component of desserts such as “zuppa trifle” or “Zuccotto” or a fresh strawberry and cream cake.
THE TRICKS for a tall and soft sponge cake
- Beat the eggs well: it seems trivial but to ensure that the sponge cake is high and soft, the eggs must first of all be a room temperature and you must mount them for a long time until they become light and frothy.
- Sift the flour: to ensure that the sponge cake is light, sift the flour and gently fold it into the whipped egg mixture.
- Use a leavening agent: Some sponge cake recipes require the addition of leavening agents such as baking powder or baking soda, which help the cake rise and become fluffy.
- Cook at the right temperature: Make sure you bake the sponge cake in a preheated oven at the correct temperature. Too low a temperature could make the cake dense, while too high a temperature could cause it to burn or dry out.
- Leave to cool completely: after cooking it is essential to let the sponge cake cool completely before removing it from the pan. In this way, the dessert will maintain its shape and consistency.
With these tricks, you will be able to obtain a tall and soft sponge cake that will delight all your guests.
To ensure you don’t miss any recipes, “like” the our Facebook page
and follow us on ours Instagram profile.
Back to HOME PAGE