I love and adore this Fruit Cocktail cake. This is another one of those long ago recipes that we’ve been making in my family for as long as I can remember.
Made from scratch, the ingredients in our Fruit Cocktail cake are simple and the recipe itself is not fussy at all.
Serve warm, cold or at room temperature
I especially enjoy it warm. Then again, I also enjoy it room temp…and cold…and…oh darn it. I just love this cake any way you can give it to me. It is a very unique and moist flavor, unlike anything you’ve ever had!
The ingredients for the Fruit Cocktail cake you’ll need are:
- Self rising flour
- A can of fruit cocktail in heavy syrup.
How To Make Fruit Cocktail Cake
Simple step by step instructions
- Place eggs, sugar, flour, fruit cocktail (juice and all) and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Mix on low speed until well blended. Scrape down sides and mix again for about another minute.
- Spray a 9×13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for forty five minutes or until golden brown.
Instructions for the Fruit Cocktail Cake Topping
- Place evaporated milk, pecans, butter, sugar, more vanilla, and sweetened flaked coconut in a medium to large sauce pot.
- Bring to a boil, while stirring, over medium heat.
- Keep boiling for one to two minutes.
This icing will remain pretty runny, which will be great when you pour it over your hot cake and it soaks all in.
- Take hot cake out of the oven.
Pour hot icing over hot cake, spreading as you pour.
TIP: Work fast now because this is going to immediately soak down into the cake and you don’t want coconut to be concentrated in one area and completely absent in the other. Spreading it as you pour it will help avoid this problem.
Taste a bit of delicious creation
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 15 ounce fruit cocktail undrained
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 +1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 +1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, place all cake ingredients and beat at low speed until blended. Scrape down sides and beat again at low speed for one minute more. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, combine all sauce ingredients in a medium sized saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Once mixture is boiling, continue stirring and boil for 1-2 minutes. Pour over hot cake and quickly spread with a spatula for even coverage.
Please note that this recipe calls for self rising flour in order to rise.
You may also enjoy these other fruit cake recipes: